09 March, 2016

A mentor, a motivational speaker and a hairdresser walk into a bar

Hello. You know me. You all know me.
You don't know me?! Are you sure? Maybe you're confusing, but anyway: here's my story.

Some time ago I was struggling with my career. I was very good at everything, but I wasn't sure which one I should choose. I decided to look for professional advice on Facebook where everybody is successful. One day my friend posted about her colleague having left the beauty parlour she was working at. I am totally an expert on beauty and make-up and haircuts, I can tell immediately if that shade fits those bangs and everybody says my pink lipstick and jewels look classy. This looked promising and I decided it to give the hair salon a chance. I became a professional hair stylist.

I struggled a bit at first but I was given a chance since in the meantime the owner's nephew was now my boyfriend. And after a while I became good. I mean really good, I had always been good. Some customers complained on various occasions for made-up reasons, because obviously they didn't have any professional training and were probably jealous. Anyway, now I was good-good, you know? And now all the important customers wanted me to do their hair while my colleagues were taking care of the less important customers.

After some time I realized I was so good and decided to share my knowledge with those less fortunate that couldn't come directly to my parlour. Well, not mine but you understand. And now I am engaged to the owner's nephew now, I guess we should be taking over soon, since I made it so successful.
As I had already a lot of experience on Facebook I started to share professional advice there and I posted some pictures of me and my most interesting hairstyles in assorted outfits. At the beach, in the club, at the mall, in my boyfriend's car. Some even from work, but I was asked to take those down, probably conflict of interest or something like that. Needless to say, it was an instant hit and everybody wanted to become friends with me and see more pictures with me in them.
In a few weeks I had reached the maximum number of friends, but a friend of mine told me I could open a website portal where I wouldn't have this limit and also I could make money. I got someone to build it for me since I was very busy. It was sooo popular that I became even more busy and started running out of time to write professional advice and decided to take information from other websites and make it better with my knowledge. After some time I had so many important things to say that I even started a newsletter which helped my loyal readers to keep track of me and not miss anything. Also, my friend told me this was another good way to make money from advertising or something like that.

Based on my huge success I decided to take things even further. My fans were really into all the things I shared and I decided to do more for them. Why limit myself only to fashion? It can't be the only thing I'm good at, right? And we had a bond already, we resonated so well. Which is why I thought I could provide even better advice, better tailored (ha!) to particular needs for those who could afford it. It was a natural move and so I moved straight into that. I later found out this was called being a personal coach or mentor. This also makes quite good money.

Soon after that, personal mentoring ended up taking even more time from my schedule that was already so full. So I came up with a greater idea: why not share my one-to-one experiences as a personal coach or mentor with more than one person at once? This could help even more people. And also make more money, which is important at this point in my life. I am no longer engaged to that loser and I also had to quit from the parlour when we broke up. But I am not one to make any compromises, he was slowing down my growth and holding back my career. I am moving on. You may no longer find me at my old job, but I'm still very active with coaching and mentoring on Facebook and on my website. I think it's called being a motivational speaker. If you can afford it, you may come watch me at my sessions.

No comments: